Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Spicy Taste of Victory

I actually won something!!  At the last minute, I decided to enter our pool club's Chili Cookoff - well, it was actually the day before.  Someone had to drop out, so I took that spot.  Sadly, I didn't look at the day's soccer schedule and was strapped for time...So after our last game, I rushed to our grocery store to pick up all the ingredients, simmered it for about an hour and then headed over to our pool.  Two hours later, I was victorious!  Totally worth the scramble...I even bugged my husband at the firehouse to share my exciting news!

So, I'm not that "carry a recipe to my deathbed" kind of gal - which means that yes, I am sharing it with my friends! This recipe is a combination of different recipes I have tried over the years and includes my hands down favorite chili starter.  I've done the whole make from scratch thing and honestly, this starter is way better and much easier, as well as not salty - a lot of chili seasonings just leave me feeling puffy and miserable.  

Please let me know how you like it - hopefully it will be a big hit in your households!  My family has already asked me to make it 3 times in less than two weeks...

My Family's Favorite Chili
(serves 6-8)


1lb italian sausage
1lb extra lean ground beef
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1T minced garlic
1 jar Tabasco chili starter - spicy
1 jar Tabasco chili starter - mild
1 can of V8 spicy hot juice (the soda can size)
1 can diced green chilis
2 cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained

Combine both meats in a skillet and brown, so that there is no more pink showing.  While meat is browning, heat approximately 2T of olive oil and saute onion and garlic, until onion is a little soft.  Once meat is completely browned, drain any liquid and then add to pot with onions and garlic and mix.  Pour in both jars of chili starter and juice, then fill one jar with water and add to pot - if you like chili a little more saucy, then add one more jar of water.  Add chilis and kidney beans; mix thoroughly and simmer for approximately 1 hour.



No comments: